Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Reason I don't Knit for my Children.......

When the poncho craze was big, Hannah really, really wanted a poncho so I knit her one with fun fur trim. The yarn cost about $25 and I was so sick of knitting it when I finished I wanted to shoot myself.

Hannah wears it to school ONCE and then never again. Why? She can't climb on the monkey bars. Granted, that is a good reason since she loves to do it and climbs them every day, numerous times. However, when we are out shopping, she has asked me for one and I remind her she has one in her closet that she doesn't wear and tell her she is not getting another one to add to hear collection.

Last week, she decided she really wanted a hat with ear flaps and scarf. We were shopping at the Children's Place on Thursday and she is begging me for a hat and scarf. I told her I would knit her one over the weekend, which I did. Yesterday, Simon wore his to preschool and Hannah came along for the ride because she was off school. She would not wear the hat, even after she had worn it all around the house on Sunday. She did wear the scarf.

So, this morning, we are getting ready to leave for school and she doesn't want to wear the hat. Ok.......she puts the scarf on in the car. I drop her off and as I am driving away, I see her take it off and shove it into her backpack VERY QUICKLY SO NO ONE WILL SEE HER before she even got through the gate into the playground.

Um, next time Hannah begs for something knitted, remind me to just say NO!

3 comments:

JerseyGirl said...

lol...oh man...the precursor to the days when she's going to wear little skimpy shirts under her clothes and take off all the layers when she gets to school so you don't see how skimpily she's dressed. Aren't you just so looking forward to the teen years? ;)

I, however, would be proud to model the hat and scarf you made for hannah! And that picture of simon is priceless. I love the look on his face. He's certainly excited about his new hat! :)

Nik said...

I absolutely love that blue lacey scarf. it's beautiful

Catherine Kerth said...

peer pressure is starting early these days! i bet simon looked super cute at preschool! my neice and nephews think its coll that i knit my qon clothes and accessories... i haven't made anything for them yet....we'll see how cool it is then!