Monday, September 01, 2008

Holiday Weekend

Our unplanned weekend got busy at the last minute.

Friday night we had friends of the kids over. Hannah went swimming & Simon played on the Wii with the respective siblings.

Saturday my girlfriend called while we were running errands to see I had a babysitter in my area I could recommend. Well, since she has a 5 month old, I did not have anyone to recommend so I offered to watch her 3 children while she and her hubby enjoyed an adult night away.

The kids all helped to entertain the baby, Noah. He was really a good baby but reminded me how much work they are....I hate to admit it but I was happy when he went home on Sunday. ;)
Hannah wanted to try her hand at holding the baby....
and feeding him too.
Last night we went to the neighbors and I brought chips, salsa, guac, sangria and cowboy caviar. It tastes good, is easy and also looks good on a platter.
COWBOY CAVIAR
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed & drained1 (4 oz) can ripe olives, drained & chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped onion1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 T vegetable oil
2 T lime juice
1/4 t salt
1/4 t crushed red pepper
1/4 t ground cumin
1/8 t black pepper
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
2 large hard cooked eggs, peeled & chopped
1 green onion with top, sliced

1. In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients except cream cheese, eggs and green onions.
2. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
3. Spread cream cheese on a serving plate.
4. Spoon bean mixture evenly over the cream cheese.
5. Arrange chopped eggs on bean mixture in a ring around the edge of the plate.
6. Sprinkle with onions.

YIELD: Serves 10
SOURCE: New Mexico Cooking by Clyde Casey

1 comment:

Diane said...

I have to try this recipe one of these days. It alwasy sounds and now looks amazingly good!