Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sunday

I went to a local craft fair & farmer's market downtown yesterday. There weren't a lot of vendors but more than they normally have on a monthly basis.

I bought quite a few Christmas gifts and this bag among other things. I don't know why, but I like the bag. It has lots of pockets and is just fun to me. I can certainly understand that a lot of people won't like it but hey, that is how the cookie crumbles.

There were two hand made items vendors there, the bag lady & another lady selling felted bags. The thing I noticed about both of them, they were not charging nearly enough!

The bag below, cost me $7.50 (including tax) because it was on sale for 50% off. Even at $15, it does not come close to covering the price of the fabric, let alone the TIME required to sew the bag!!! All of their bags were severely under priced, in my opinion.

The ladies knitting the felted bags admitted the same thing, the she barely covered cost of materials with her prices.

Ironically, both women admitted that they should probably charge more. Even at the yarn cost prices, the felted bag lady said she only sold 4 bags last month at the craft fair.

I have been in a knitting slump lately...don't know what I want to knit. So...I dug in my stash and came up with kitchen cotton and the pattern from Mason Dixon Knitting. Very fun and a quick knit. I made one last night during Memoirs of a Geisha and one this morning.

I bought these two hand made soaps to go in them at the craft fair. Oh my, do they smell delightful!!! They smell just like chocolate mint!! Makes me hungry.
Here they are all tied up in a ball! I will definitely make this pattern again.

5 comments:

The Queen said...

I LOVE your new bag!!! And yes at $7.50 it is horribly underpriced.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise that bag is PERECT.

Good job with the knitting too -- I'm in a horrible place too much sock yarn and not enough time....hmmm.

Catherine Kerth said...

thats really cheap... your right they are worth a lot more! i was in a blogging and knitting slump for a while... but I have made a few things this weekend so I am hoping things pick up at the new year for both of us ;)

African Kelli said...

Such a cute idea of tucking soap inside a wash cloth. Love that!

Theresa said...

Sweet little gifties! I love fancy soaps.

Next time I am in Phoenix, I will let you know, I promise. Through, truthfully, I barely left the hotel, I was so busy. But I would have made an exception for a yarn shop visit!

I was actually at the JW Marriott and I got there on Dec. 2, the same night as the party you were at! When I checked in, I noticed a lot of dressed-up people and wondered if there was a wedding or banquet happening.

How weird is that!

Anonymous said...

Love that pattern!! I need to get the book out of the library again!