Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Tuesday

My children like to cook...and I sure do love it! Simon is mixing his very impressive Mac & Cheese for dinner. He thinks he made a whole meal and we all need to start somewhere.

Finally bought some cordial glasses for the Limoncello. Cost Plus for $1.79 each. Reminds me of drinking Samuca.
I have been asked for the Limoncello recipe so here it is....

LIMONCELLO
8 thick-skinned lemons (Eureka, Lisbon or Citron) 1 bottles (750 ml each) 100-proof vodka or Everclear Grain Alcohol 2.25 cups sugar 2.5 cups water
INSTRUCTIONS: Wash the lemons in hot water before you start. Remove the peel with a vegetable peeler, removing all the white pith on the back of the peel by scraping with a knife, and put the peels in a 4-quart Mason jar.
Add 1 bottle of vodka and stir. Cover the jar, date it, and put it to rest in a dark cabinet at room temperature.
After 20 days, take out the vodka-lemon mixture. In a saucepan set over high heat, stir the sugar and water together and boil for 5 minutes. Let the sugar syrup cool completely in the pan, about 10 minutes. Add the sugar syrup to the vodka-lemon mixture along with the second bottle of vodka. Stir well to combine. Replace the cover on the jar and note the finish date.
Return it to the dark cabinet and store for 20 more days.
At Day 40, remove the limoncello from the cabinet. Strain the mixture and discard the lemon peel. Pour into clean bottles with caps or decorative corked bottles. Put one bottle in the freezer, and store the other in the pantry until the one in the freezer is used up.

4 comments:

margene said...

Oh my that sounds wonderful! Now I need to find someone who will make it for me. :-D

Anonymous said...

I am impressed with the mac & cheese since my husband can't do that, and no, I'm not kidding. *sigh* He's very resistant to learning too.

Diane said...

Sarah I love seeing Simon cooking in your kitchen! Jen and I used to spend so much time togther in mine cooking together over the years when she was still at home. What great memories you are making.

I love you cordial glasses. Makes all those wonderful liqueurs taste even better! I picked up some at IKEA. I love that place as well as The World Market.

I look forward to trying your limoncello recipe. I guess I had better wait until I have lemons other than Meyer. :-))

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah! That looks yummy! Maybe I can talk Matthew into making it. :-) Hope you are well.
Love that bag you made too!!