Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday....

I made pepper jelly and had a bit of the yellow stuff at the top after canning. Thought it might be the butter that was added. However, as the days went on, I noticed more. As a former microbiologist....I just could not in good faith give this jelly so it went down the drain and the jars are clean for the next round of whatever fills them.
After our foray into making Christmas cookies yesterday, we made them a la my family recipe (we add orange zest to the recipe).
The kids help make the dough.
And decorate the cookies.
The first round. I need to get a different candy cane cutter. The one I have is too fragile.
My pan of cookies since the kids got bored after the first pan....
I am thinking of making peanut brittle later.





1 comment:

Diane said...

The cookie baking looks like it was abig time. How fun! The cookies are beautiful good joib Hannah and Simon!

Oh yuck whatever you have in your pepper jelly is scary! What kind of peppers dod you use? Do they have a high oil content? I think it has a lot to do with cooking very slowly on a lower heat and bringing to a boil slowly,and so on. I have never seen that in the different batches I have made, but I have used different colored bell peppers, with a little jalapeno pepper. The amount of butter that goes into the recipe I use is so miniscule I can;t imagine that is what that stuff is. I think it is only a teaspoon that goes into a batch that makes like 6 or 7 half pints. You used vannng jars when you dod the water bath, right? I am always leary of recycled jars that food came in fopr canning.