Friday, April 29, 2005

Knitting Musings......

I finished the feather and fan shawl last night. I love it when I remember to "weave" in the ends as I go along! Last night I only had 1 strand to weave in and that was because of the bind off.

Here I am modeling the finished product.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And here is a close up of the detail.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is a relatively easy pattern:

• Row 1 (right side) Knit.
• Row 2 K 3, purl to last 3 sts, k 3.
• Row 3 K 3, *[k2tog] 3 times, [yo, k 1] 6 times, [k2tog] 3 times; repeat from * to last 3 sts, k 3.
• Row 4 Knit.
• Repeat Rows 1-4 until piece measures 60 inches (or desired length) from beginning. Bind off all sts. Weave in ends.

I have used Jiffy and Homespun to make this shawl and both turned out really nice. I have to admit that I like the Homespun one better but both were really soft.

I started the baby socks from the most recent Interweave Knits but didn't have size 0 dpn so I tried it with size 1 which is only 0.5 mm bigger but they looked MILES too big for a baby so...I am either going to buy size 0 or decrease the number of stitches.

While I am waiting to get the needles or lose interest in the socks, I started a basic roll brim hat from the last ball I have of this yarn.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I had made a girlfriend a scarf from this yarn using the Flying V pattern from Exquisite Little Knits and thought I would try to make a matching hat from the last ball. It will be pretty boring due to the limited yarn but she lives in NJ, so she may actually wear it from time to time!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The V is made by using short rows and then knitting straight. It was a fun pattern.

I like this book but most of the yarn required for the projects are out of my budget! For example, a little, wispy shawl cost $70 and provided nothing but a cute look...no warm. Needless to say, I do use the patterns but rarely the yarn required in the book.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Gorgeous! It must be so soft and warm, too!

TrueEpicure said...

Oooh! What yarn are you using for the hat? I really like those colors.