Thursday, May 26, 2005

Recycled Silk & SWTC Test Knit Bag

I got about 800 grams of recycled sari silk off of ebay last week and it arrived on Monday. It was in hanks so I had to get out the ball winder and swift to ball it up. Of course, Simon was a great help.

It was a messy project with all the extra fibers and stuff that came off during the winding process. The yarn also seemed a bit "dirty" or dusty but I am sure that is directly related to the fact that it is wound by women as a cottage industry in Nepal and neighboring areas.

Here's the mess:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And here the beautiful balls once they were wound.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I am going to make one of these bags, maybe two (as a gift) from the yarn.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTunbiased.html

And finally, my Southwest Trading Company test knit is at the spa getting a warm bath treatment as we speak. It doesn't appear to be felting too quickly.

Here it is before I sewed it up.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I am hoping it dries quickly because I will be over that way for a birthday party for Hannah's friend and it would be great to drop it off today.

And finally, a gratuitous photo of our kitty, Oliver. Hannah took this with my camera yesterday and it is a very nice photo.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love that silk! Where did you get it?

Pam said...

I don't know, Oliver looks a tad pissed off.

Very glad my silk came pre-balled. I'm sure it will make a mess when I work with it, but one mess is enough.