Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Kids & Computers


Yesterday when my daughter had a friend come over yesterday to play.  The little Prince was upset because they would not play with him!

Horrors of Horrors!

To help him ease his pain, I turned on the computer and sat down with him to do some Playhouse Disney surfing and to show him how to use the mouse.

Apparently I did a good job because after I turned off the computer, he was back in there with the computer on and he had CLICKED ON HIS OWN PROFILE!!!!!!!!!  (Note to self, set up password protect on your account NOW!)

The kid is 3 years old!

This morning he did the same thing but also got onto the internet!  Holy Cow!

I found this amusing because I had two calls yesterday for “tech support”.

One was from a colleague (around age 50) who was having problems with his new Adobe Acrobat program.  He pulled up a pdf but it would not let him edit it.  Hmmm…could it be because it was not an editable page?  I have talked this same colleague through some basics of Quickbooks too.  You’d think he’d send some business my way.

The second call was from someone (age 40) who will remain unmentioned.  

Urgent call because they got a new computer and can’t get into their email.  Ok.  Is there some steps you can go through with an alternate email to reset your password????

Caller:      Yes, but it is telling me to paste the link into a new browser.  What’s a                browser?

Me:     Um, Internet Explorer.  

C:     But I use Outlook for email.

Me:     You need to open a new window so you can paste the address into it.

C:      How?  Where is that Window?

Me:     Go to Start and then click on the big E.  

C:      Oh, internet explorer.

Me:     Yes, that’s it.

C:      I don’t know what to do.

Me:     Send me the email.  Ok, we have to reset your password.

C:     I want to use *%#$(*$(.

Me:      It says that is what you used last time and you need to pick a new one.

C:     I don’t want to. I use the same one for everything!  

Me:     You have to change it.  Pick something easy and WRITE IT DOWN!

So, after about 5 minutes, I had the email up and running on the old and new computer.  I’ll send her my bill.  


1 comment:

Saun said...

I used to do tech support and that's an example of why I stopped. Fun isn't it?