Thursday, August 04, 2005

A Recycled Silk PSA


Well, in my infinite wisdom (Lord knows I got a bunch of that) I thought I would was the unbiased hobo bag BEFORE I took it apart so when I reknit it using the Sunburst Sling Bag pattern, it wouldn't wear a hole in my tension finger.

Unfortunately, what seemed like a good idea was a REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA!

Why you ask? Well, it appears that although washing sure did soften up that yarn, it also kind of felted it together and I could not, for the life of me, unwind that yarn even after I cut the pieces apart. I spent about 2-3 hours on it and NOTHING but a few strings and a whole lotta cuss words.

So, this is what it looked like right before its trip to the trash. A whole lotta little fuzzy pieces of silk with no real strand to be seen!

In future, if you use recycled silk yarn, don't wash it until AFTER you are sure that you love the item because otherwise, all you will have is one big knot.

Ok, off my soapbox........

6 comments:

African Kelli said...

Oy, good to know.
It is still pretty though, even in a large clump. Where do you find recycled silk yarn?

Pam said...

Ack! Well, it seemed like a good idea...

Catherine Kerth said...

oh i am so sorry! bet it was tough to throw away your silk!!!eekkk!

Mel said...

That is a crying shame! I'm sorry you had to be the one to set an example for all of us :-(

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, HOW SAD!! =(

Kelli's right, tho, it is a very pretty clump. My condolences.

Heather said...

That just sucks. I wonder why the silk would felt? Can saris felt? Odd.