Friday, December 30, 2005

Zoo Lights

Rosie & Woody gave us tickets to Zoo Lights so we took the kids last night. If you ever decide to go, get there right when they open! David was giving me the evil eye when we had dinner at 4:30 pm and left the house around 5:30 pm and got there bang on 6 pm when it opened, but it was definitely the right decision because the place was getting PACKED when we left around 7:30 pm.

Here are the light up lily pads as you walk across the "turtle bridge" on the way in to the zoo.

A photo of all of us in the jaws of the snake! You can't see it but I have no my new shawl.

They had this giraffe that said your kids name (when you went over and told the girl doing the voice). It reminded me of going to Paul Bunyan land in Brainerd where Paul does the same thing. The look on Hannah & Simon's face when she said their name really was priceless!

After we got home, I remembered that I had forgotten the Lost Points Shawl in the washer to soak prior to blocking. I think it is the silk dye that is floating in the washer.......but it could also be the dye from the Melody though I doubt it.

Here it is blocking. This time, it is definitely big enough. I changed the pattern by using 10.5 needles instead of 9's and kept knitting....and knitting and knitting. I was trying to figure out how big the #$@#@ thing was when I had an epiphany. I was a little afraid to bind off (and finish it so it has been languishing in my knitting bag off and on for about 6 months) because if it wasn't big enough this time, I was not going to knit the thing again.

On the pattern it has rough measurements so I measured the width and calculated the length and breathed a BIG sigh of relief when I figured out it was long enough. You don't know with that pattern until after you have bound off and believe me, there is no way you are going around and picking up about 750 or more stitches after it is bound off.

I also did a couple rows of garter stitch so the edges won't roll. I was surprised that the pattern didn't recommend that and the edges DEFINITELY rolled the first time I made it.
All ready for Linda to wear it on their trip to Hawaii in the new year!

3 comments:

Creative Genius? said...

it looks fantastic!!! how is the pattern? is it an easy one or a pain in the arse?

Heather said...

It is gorgeous!! I am so happy you have it done. Do you have lots of silk left? Bring it Tuesday so we can all pet it!

African Kelli said...

Oh Sarah, the giraffe is too cool. (Zoo lights are one of my favorite AZ holiday traditions). And the wrap you knit is absolutely gorgeous! So pretty.