Monday, January 23, 2006

Lemon's, Breasts & Funky Yarn

We got some Meyer's Lemons from Rosie. I have never actually seen them before but I had heard about them so she gave me 6 to bring home.

A little history of the Meyers lemon:
Grown in China for centuries. Believed to be a cross between a mandarin orange, a lemon, and maybe a lime. The U.S. Government's botanical explorer Frank N. Meyer brought plants from Bejing in 1908 to California. In the 1940s, a virus threatened the entire California citrus population. The Meyers lemon was a survivor but also the main carrier of the virus. Most of the Meyers lemon trees were destroyed. UC Riverside scientists eventually developed a resistant tree and again the Meyers lemon rules!

They really are an orange color on the outside...not quite the color of an orange but not really lemon colored either.

The inside.

The Lemon Curd made to go over.....

This cranberry lemon pound cake!

I also knit a Tit Bit for one of the prayer shawl ladies that just had a mastectomy. She was wearing a pale pink one I made as a prototype (it is a bit small) and said she really liked it as an alternative to the heavy silicone prosthesis. I am going to take this one over to her house this week and we are going to stuff to order and then make a pink one and a white one for her to wear this summer.

I also took Hannah to Joann's yesterday because I wanted to pick up some big diameter straight needles. There are times that straight needles are useful and I knew I would never find them at the thrift store!

I picked up this package of Susan Bates straights for a steal because of the candy cane color.

I am using them to make this final scarf for the Red Scarf Project. I had one ball of each color on as you can see at the top but neither is enough for anything so....put them together and it seems like they are just one yarn. I knit 2 rows with each color and it blends them nicely.

This is Trendsetter Aquarias I picked up at Tuesday Morning before Christmas.

And an Obie shot in his glory on the couch! His tummy fur is finally growing in after we had it shaved off because his hair was so matted when we got him from the Humane Society.

7 comments:

African Kelli said...

Sarah! What a fun weekend. I am drooling at the cake and lemon curd. YUM!

Unknown said...

Your red scarf project is coming along so beautifully! Sounds like you've had lots going on and enjoyed every minute of it.

YarnB said...

Oh I love Lemon Curd!! That cake looks great and I am on a sugar free diet! YUMMY.........

Catherine Kerth said...

okay, share time! i wear a prothstetic, is that tit bit really more comfortable? hmmmm, i'll have to make myself one... might do better for bathing suit season then silicone.... thanks for your friends advice!

Saun said...

Interesting. I never knew there was more than one type of lemon. The cake looks real yummy!

Anonymous said...

Meyer Lemons rock! You couldn't legally grow them or bring them into AZ because of the virus, but they now have what is called the "Improved" Meyer Lemon that is resistant. MMMM... Meyer lemon lemondade is GREAT!

JerseyGirl said...

so I never heard of these 'lemons' until I read your post....I went to the grocery store tonight and BAM! there they were....they've never been there before.

Cake looks deeelicious.