Sunday, September 11, 2005

Saturday in Review

It was a nice Saturday. I went out shopping, for me, at the mall for almost 3 hours. How great is that??

I saw the shoe manager at Robinson's on my way in, when I bought a couple pair of shoes, and then on the way out of the mall, he asked me if I was still spending money. Yes, I must buy enough shoes in Robinson's that the shoe manager recognizes me by sight. At least he doesn't know my name!!!

Anyway, I said, I am shopping without my kids helping me. What is not to love???

He told me that this was the first time he had ever seen me without my helpers.

Truthfully, I go to the mall without the kids maybe once a month or so but I don't always see the shoe manager.

I found two pair of high end shoes for $20 ($18 after my additional discount) each. I bought a pair of Clark's flip flop sandals in green (shocking, I know) and some Easy Spirit slides that are so popular this season.

I found quite few little "items" and had a good day getting ready for winter in AZ. Of course, this is precipitated by the fact that I am REALLY SICK OF MY SUMMER CLOTHES! I have washed some of the t-shirts so much that they don't hold their shape so I am forced to start throwing them away. I don't care how much you spend on knit shirts, I don't find that they last for more than a season or so. Maybe it is because in Arizona you have to wash everything, especially shirts, after one wearing because it is so HOT!

Hubby wanted to go out for dinner last night so no one had to cook....hmm...that sounds like a good idea. We went to a Vietnamese place called Yen Mi. It is attached to Lee Lee's Market at Dobson & Warner in Chandler.

Simon & Hannah were both trying to master chopsticks. As you can see, they did get some food in their mouths with the chopsticks.


We had all kinds of food and a fair amount of left overs. Simon ate their spring rolls but Hannah wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. On the flip side they both liked fried rice and Hannah LOVED the shrimp and squid. She ate almost the whole plate of squid. Hmmm....strange child.

They did great not only be behaving well but also trying much of the food put in front of them, which is all I ask.

If you have never been to Lee Lee's, it is a shopping experience. This is a market which caters to the ethnic groups not serviced by the big chain grocery stores. They have always catered to the Vietnamese market but I noticed they have expanded and have specific aisles for Japanese, Trinidad, Hong Kong, Indian, some Hispanic foods and almost anything you would need to make most food from Asia.

The biggest difference with this market is the size of the meat case. If you think of the meat department at Basha's/Fry's which takes up the whole back of the store, this is replaced by true cold meat cases at Lee Lee's. They have live fish, soft shell crabs or blue crabs in season, fresh lobster and a wide variety of fish. They also have beef, lamb & pork plus a whole section of animal parts (hearts, tongues, gizzards, livers, ears, snouts, etc.) which you just don't see at most American grocery stores.

In short, if you are in the area, it is worth the stop! Plus, if you are a Poore Brother's Potato Chip fan (they are always $0.89 at LeeLee, compared to the $1.99 everywhere else).

1 comment:

Karla said...

I love reading your posts! You have a way with writing. It's so entertaining! I was actually reading it out loud to DH (as he was ironing!) to give him something to chuckle at!

BTW, I would certainly write a letter to the hoity toity place and tell them that THEY broke your watch during the cleaning, as the other watch repairer fixed it and told you what the problem was, and that THEY should reimburse the $75+ that they charged YOU to return your once working watch to you. Sure they might laugh and tell you to take a hike in their hoity way, but then again, maybe, just maybe, they might like not to lose a customer...though I imagine they might already have, huh?

When you said the company didn't even recognize the watch, I thought to myself that that is probably because none of them working there now were around in the 70's when the watch was made! (ha ha!)

Great blog! I'm going back to read more now. :)