Friday, May 05, 2006

TGIF

David & I attended the "Helping One Child at a Time" Luncheon for Gabriel's Angel's.

I took a photo of David, Pam Gaber & Gabriel at the luncheon but it did not turn out so, you just get a photo of Pam & Gabriel. Everyone did a great job and I sure hope they raised a lot of $$ for such a great organization.

David helped with the "giving" request and did a great job. There was quite a swarm around him when I left.

I love the turtles on the way into the zoo. They are some of my favorites and they were all sunning themselves this afternoon.

I had a little bit of time before I had to pick up Simon so I stopped at Tempe Yarn & Fiber and bought 3 skeins of hot pink DK yarn for another baby sweater. This one for my "grand niece"? She is the daughter of my neice on David's side. Anyway, Grandma to be (David's sister) is coming for a visit in June so I thought I had better knit something quick.

On the way, I ran into this horrid road construction in front of ASU. Ack...a real pain!

After getting Simon, I picked up Hannah and her "eggs" from her classroom. We are the mother hens this weekend. We have to turn the eggs 3 times a day. The incubator is ensconsed on our counter for the weekend.
And finally, I saw this in the parking lot when I got gas (that cost me $52.00)! It is a Volkswagon Thing. Our family had one of these in 1975-1976. We were one of two families in our small town that had one. Ours was white with a blue & green V design on the hood and it was a convertible.
I often wonder WHY we had that car. Granted, it was a fun car. The doors come off, the windows came off (they were vinyl) and you could pull the plugs in the bottom of the car and hose it down. However, in the winter, it was a tin can on wheels. I can remember putting my head on the side of the car and how cold the metal was on my cheek.

I also remember how I lost the hat to my Pioneer dress, like the girls wore on Little House on the Prairie, during the summer of 1976. Our whole family had "period" clothes for the Bicentennial. We were driving through the corn fields of Wright County Minnesota with the top down and the windows off, and I, in my infinite 7 year old wisdom, took off my bonnet and put it behind the seat. I am pretty sure it blew out about 1 second after I let go. Strange, I can see it all in my head as write this. So, my Grandma Hinz made me another one. Good thing she had more fabric because we had matching dresses that summer.

Dad tells me we used to get stopped in Canada (my two youngest siblings were born in Winnepeg...whole 'nother story) by the police just so they could check out that car.

My Mom & Dad tell me that the car didn't run more than it actually did run and we didn't keep it more than a year.

The other family in town, didn't either. Surprisingly, it was not a good cold weather car. I always remember that car when we go to Mexico because so many of them are used as taxi's. I just read that there was a Las Brisas model in Acapulco for the hotel. We stayed there during our honeymoon and got the Ricardo Mantalbon Jeep Wrangler in Pink & White.

Just seeing it brings back all the memories of that car.

No comments: