Monday, May 22, 2006

What I did on Sunday

I sewed a couple of tote bags/knitting bags or purses.

I modified this free pattern for the Retro Tote from Joann.com. I made it smaller, put a pocket inside and added a magnetic closure. I gotta figure out how to put a magnetic closure on the inside and still be able to put a nice top stitch around the top of the bag.

I LOVE my serger, when it works and I can find the right foot. I had put on the rolled hem foot at Christmas and could not find the regular one anywhere. Um, when I finally looked in the pouch with the serger "hardware stuff" it was right there. I got it on and it worked well for quite a while and then decided to not thread. Ick, I HATE threading my serger, hate it and I had to fix it 4-5 times. Ack.

I taught a sewing class once back in Fargo when I worked a fabric store while in grad school. In the class you cut apart a throw blanket to make a jacket. A really easy project, especially if you have a serger.

There were 4 ladies in the class and everyone brought a serger. However, they were all borrowed sergers and NO ONE knew how to thread their sergers. I spent the better part of the 90 minute class threading sergers. After that class, it was put on all class registration that if you brought a serger, you had to know how to use it and thread it!

I had to add something to the green one because it was really blah...so, I found those iron on patches in my sewing basket. Who knew I had them??

Also, my little guy is under the weather so I doubt I will get much work done BUT since he like company on the couch, this might be a good knitting day.

3 comments:

African Kelli said...

Very pretty! Love the embroidery. And you know my current lust for a serger. (and kitchenaid mixer, new tv, nicer neighborhood, oy with the wants)

I got a chuckle out of this line. I think it would be the perfect title for a novel: "I taught a sewing class once back in Fargo."

Anonymous said...

So pretty, I didn't know that you liked sewing as well. How nice, my machine is on my kitchen table right now. I have some days off after today, and have planned to sew a bit. And, I couldn't resist the IcarusKal, I had to joined it. And have already started with the shawl, it's so pretty...Have a nice day.

JerseyGirl said...

Cute bags, sarah! You're so damn crafty!

Hope Simon's feeling better.