Monday, April 10, 2006

A Carefree Weekend

As I mentioned on Friday, Grandpa & Grandma stayed with Hannah & Simon this weekend so David and I could get away! It was really relaxing!

I had originally thought of going to Tucson but the 2 hour drive a was not high on my list so we went to Carefree, AZ and stayed at the Carefree Resort & Villas.


It was so nice to not have to worry about anyone but ourselves. I got up early, as I always do, and sat on our patio overlooking a nice stream and desert landscape. I could see some mountains in the distance.

We had brunch on the patio and read the paper...the whole paper without interruptions!

David decided to hit the pool while I went down to Bonnie's yarn shop in Carefree.
It is a really cute shop and she has A LOT of yarn considering the size of the store. This is only 1/2 of the sale section! If you can believe it, all I bought was a pair of needles and this pattern from Two Old Bags.
We sat by the pool and just relaxed, read and drank some adult beverages for the rest of the afternoon. It was so wonderful!

Dinner was eaten at the Lariat restaurant at the hotel. We figured that we just didn't want to fight crowds in town for dinner and why not just walk to dinner?

Here is the view from our little patio. There were birds chirping and just so nice. I spent many hours in the morning just relaxing, reading and....
Knitting! I got a lot of knitting done on the Lace Leaf Shawl.
After we left on Sunday we headed into Cave Creek for lunch at the Satisfied Frog.

On the way to lunch we passed the Buffalo Chip Saloon and a HUGE GREEN BAY PACKER BAR. In my single days I used to come with my neighbor (a HUGE Packer fan) to watch them play on Sundays, except for when they played the Vikings....then it wasn't so pretty! ;)

And finally, another icon on Cave Creek...the Horny Toad.
Here is the progress I made on the shawl. I love the pattern but HATE the yellow in this yarn. It will definitely be overdyed in some other color when I am done.
I think a single color will also make the leaf pattern stand out better than it does in varigated yarn. I am just trying to use what I have in the yarn department at the moment.
Thanks Grandma & Grandpa for watching the winkies! We will definitely take you up on it before you head back to Minnesota!!! ;)

7 comments:

African Kelli said...

Awesome! What a fun weekend Sarah!

Catherine Kerth said...

now I know why you got so ahead of me on the LL shawl KAL, ha! how fun and relaxing! can't wait to see it dyed and blocked! tomm. right ;)

tocspaw said...

I'm so glad you guys had a wonderful, relaxing weekend. That's a great yarn shop - they really pack it to the brim with yarn!!

Anonymous said...

Girl.. that must be awesome!!! Next time I want to go!!!!!! lol

Anonymous said...

WOW! I love the photos you shared - it seems you had such a wonderful time at your weekend off, you both look so absolutely relaxed and happy! Such little retreats are so necessary from time to time, even if it's just for a few days - just getting off the normal routine and letting your soul rest a bit - it's heaven, isn't it?
I adore your shawl, it's already so beautiful - after dyeing and blocking it's gonna be a true piece of art!

JerseyGirl said...

Wonderful to see that you and David had a nice, relaxing weekend together. As always, great documentation! I love the pattern of the shawl you're working on now. I thought of you yesterday when I was on the subway and a woman walked on, sat down, and busted open her knitting bag and started knitting her project. :)

YarnB said...

I am so glad you got away!!!! It looks wonderful! And a new yarn store to check out that is not that far away?? I will have to look that up! I think the shawl looks great but I am admiring the knitting! I hope you can find the right dye to cover that. Yellow covers easily so that is good!