Thursday, April 13, 2006

I Have Issues

Lace Issues...not the other kind, ok, I have the other kind too but not going there on my blog. ;)

Still knitting the Lace Leaf Shawl from Fiber Trends but....there is a problem.

The pattern says it should take about 1175 yds of lace weight yarn on size 5 needles to do 18 repeats and the edging. Um, I am at 12 repeats and haven't even cracked open ball #2 which means I haven't knit up 440 yds of yarn yet. I do realize that the shawl will be sucking yarn as the repeats grow but I am still worried and I don't think it is going to be the size I see in my head.

Maybe as I get closer to the end of the 16th repeat it may look a lot bigger. If not, I am going to use the top edge as a guide to how big it will be when blocked. My infinite math skills (and inherent idiot logic) tell me that if the top is roughly 1/3 less than the blocked size, I should be ok for the size I want it to be.

If anyone has better math, logic & lace knitting skills and has comments, please do not hesitate to email me or leave a comment.

I did pick up some irridescent black beads to put on the points of this shawl yesterday at Michael's. I ended up getting the value pack because I figured I will use the same beads on the Merlot Misti Alpaca shawl I am going to make for a Christmas present. Since they are irridescent, they will look mighty nice with a dark purple colored yarn too!


3 comments:

Nik said...

hey hon,
i mailed off the book last saturday morning. i've been such a scatterbrain lately and i totally apologize. You should get it by this saturday.
Sorry for sending it so late.
The shawl looks great. I need to do some shawl knitting of my own.

tocspaw said...

I have this pattern, but I haven't made it yet...I'm anxious to see how yours turns out!

Birdsong said...

I think the key might be in what you said about it suddenly starting to "grow" as you have more stitches on the needles - at least that has been my experience in the past. You could always add more repeats if you have a LOT of yarn and it didn't get as long as you hoped. Look around a bit for a finished one being modeled by someone, and see what yarn they used.