Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Dye Day

What do the two blue things have in common with the pot holder at the bottom?

They were both close to that color before they went into the dye bath yesterday.
My friend Laurie crocheted the bag but it was in pastel orange colors that I did not use a lot so she said she had no problem with me dying it to suit me so.....I had an extra package of Dylon Cold Water dye in my possession and a big plastic bucket that I just emptied from our laundry soap so away we went. I have always liked the Dylon dyes so much better than rit and they are not much more expensive. Their color is much deeper and more true to form. I always find Rit to be a bit muddy compaired to the amazing color on the package.

This is some SWTC yarn that was in a brownish color that I tried to dye red with Kool Aid that did not work so I thought, well, I'll throw it in the bucket. I had nothing to lose since I wasn't going to use it in the color state it was in. It turned out a nice varigated color. My only problem is it got a wee bit tangled during the rinsing so I will have to see if I can put it back together into a ball.

5 comments:

Katie said...

the colors look great. I like your new look. I think that it brightens up your blog.

StarKnits said...

i love the blue it's sooo pretty. great job!

Catherine Kerth said...

OMG that blue is beautiful! LOVE it! so did ya get your pattern? are we a go for a mini KAL ;)

kt said...

Wow! Nice blues all around! We need a group dye party before it gets too hot. I envision lots of knitters with bubbling cauldrons and cold margaritas...and greta yarn afterwards!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, those blues are beautiful, so very vibrant! Good luck and a lot of patience with untangling it - my yarn usually looks like that after I washed it, and it's always driving me nuts trying to untangle and wind it into a ball! But would I ever think before I wash it? No way... :)